Connect with us


Town maintain 100% start to Division Two




Robert Thomas: rounded the keeper for a cool winner Pic: Keith Griffiths

Penrhiwciber Rangers 1
Llanelli Town 2

HAVING opened their season with two comparatively comfortable wins, accumulating twelve goals in the process, the Reds` visit to Glasbrook Field turned out to be a hard-fought affair with the home side posing plenty of problems for their opponents.

Despite having lost their two opening fixtures, Ceiber showed they have enough talent and determination to eventually come good, and the Reds at times were fully stretched to keep them at bay.

The visitors` cause was not helped by an injury during the pre-match warm up to Kieran O`Brien, necessitating in Declan John filling it at left back, while new recruit, Sam Wade, signed during the week from Goytre United, was elevated from the bench for his club debut.

Two walking wounded in Richard Lewis and Ross Jones were also named as Reds` substitutes, with Lewis surprisingly coming on just after the hour mark for Steve Stone.

An early blow for the visitors came when Luke Jones was forced off after only 13 minutes following a kick on his hip, being replaced by Steve Berry

Craig Richards in the Reds goal did well to smother on the line a fiercely struck free kick by Bradley Jones, and when the visitors countered, Ceiber keeper Gareth Price was called into action to cut out in the box a potentially dangerous delivery driven in low by Bruno Forkuoh.

A powerful clearing header by Lee Bevan sent Forkuoh sprinting towards goal where his progress was halted by a challenge from behind by Jones and there were loud appeals for a penalty, but referee Garwyn Davies merely signalled a corner.

At the other end, Brandon Davies nutmegged Berry before unleashing his shot on target that Richards parried and then grabbed at the second attempt with Brandon Hill poised for any error.

Play was very even, but Ceiber were caught by a sucker punch on 39 minutes following a quickly taken free kick by Jak Shannon which left them flat-footed, allowing Wade to accept the chance to open his Reds` account by beating Price from the edge of the area.

Berry pulled off an important challenge on Davies when he found himself in space and made g r o u n d towards t h e goal, but the home side eventually got their reward six minutes after the restart when a break up the right by Davies led to a ball inside for Dean Brown to find the bottom corner.

The visitors were finding it difficult to impose themselves on proceedings, and in fact their opponents continued to create chances with Richards forced off his line to block when Davies again caused problems on the edge of the box.

delivered a superb ball across the face of the home goal which failed to pick anyone out, but he had better luck on 73 minutes by getting the Reds second success, seizing on a clearance before evading two challenges and rounding Price before slotting home for a well taken solo effort.

He almost got another shortly after, but this time his shot came back off the outside of the post, before

Lewis got in on the act in his usual enthusiastic manner, forcing Price into a point-blank save to somehow keep out his fierce strike on target, and being denied by the keeper again at his near post when he met a loose ball.

A hard-earned three points for the visitors to preserve their 100% record, with the next game being the league cup tie at STM Sports on Saturday, 5th September.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Gascoigne entertains Llanelli



OVER 400 people were at attendance in the Selwyn Samuel Centre in Llanelli on Saturday (Jun 18) to see former England legend Paul Gascoigne talk about his life and footballing career.

Gazza had the crowd in stitches with his stories from his past and was visibly emotional with the crowd’s warm reaction to him being there.

At one point a member of the crowd asked him if he could play one last game for one team who would it be… his answer was Swansea City to the crowds delight.

His next event will be in Tenby on September 17. The event was kindly sponsored by RDH Contractors and Sylan Lakes holiday cottages in five roads.

Continue Reading


Ryan Giggs quits as Wales manager with ‘immediate effect’



EX Man-Utd winger has left his position as the manager of the national football team with ‘immediate effect’.

Giggs stepped back from his role in November 2020 following after being arrested.

49-year-old Giggs has been charged with assault and using controlling behaviour towards an ex-partner. A claim that Giggs has denied.

In a heartfelt statement on his decision, Giggs said: “After much consideration, I am standing down from my position as manager of the Wales men’s national team with immediate effect.

“It has been an honour and a privilege to manage my country, but it is only right that the Wales FA, the coaching staff and the players prepare for the tournament with certainty, clarification and without speculation around the position of their head coach.

“I do not want the country’s preparations for the World Cup to be affected, destabilised or jeopardised in any way by the continued interest around this case.

“I am sad that we cannot continue this journey together because I believe that this extraordinary group will make the country proud at our first World Cup since 1958.

“It is my intention to resume my managerial career at a later date.”

Following Giggs arrest in 2020, former Wales captain Robert Page took over as interim manager.

Under Page Wales beat Ukraine to earn themselves a place at Qatar World Cup for the first time in 64 years.

Giggs faces one charge of using controlling and coercive behaviour August 2017 and November 2020, one charge of assault causing actual bodily harm of his ex-girlfriend Kate Greville on November 1, 2020.

He also faces a charge of common assault on the victim’s sister.

Giggs denies all charges against him and will stand trial on August 8.

The trial is expected to last five days.

Following the announcement, a FAW spokesperson said: “The FAW places on record its gratitude to Ryan Giggs for his tenure as manager of the Cymru men’s national team and appreciates the decision he has taken, which is in the best interests of Welsh football,

“The full focus of the FAW and the Cymru men’s national team is on the Fifa World Cup in Qatar later this year.”

Continue Reading


Llanelli edged out as Ynystawe pull off mammoth chase



A SCORE of 331-4 would normally be enough for a team to pick up victory, but South Wales Premier Division 2 leaders Ynystawe had other ideas as they pulled off a remarkable chase on Saturday (Jun 4).

Llanelli had been asked to bat first after Ynystawe had won the toss and their total was underpinned by a brilliant unbeaten century from Iwan Rees.

The opener hit sixteen fours and four sixes in his knock of 153 which came off 146 balls.

He had good support from Steven Devonald who scored 29 and Rhydian Morgan who scored 20 (2 fours, 1 six).

Rees and Rhys Harris shared the best stand of the match as they put on 157 runs for the fourth wicket.

Harris hit 12 fours in his score of 87 from 74 balls but he was out to the bowling of Rhys Palmer.

Rhys Westcott also finished unbeaten on 18 from 11 balls as Ynystawe were set 332 to win the game.

In reply, opener Nathan Lee scored 20 before falling to Jac Rees who also then took the wicket of Morgan Hodges on a score of 23.

Carl Roberts played well for his half century, hitting eight fours in his score of 56 before being trapped leg before by Aled Gilley.

Andrew Beasley was run out on a score of 15 and that left Ynystawe on 140-4.

Thomas Morgan and Luke Garthwaite shared 93 runs for the fifth wicket. Both reached their half centuries but Morgan was out to Iwan Rees on a score of 50.

Rees also bowled Ceri Durke and Rhys Palmer was run out by Rhydian Morgan having hit a four and a six in a quickfire score of 15.

That left Ynystawe 275-7 and they only had six overs left to get their target.

Garthwaite was on a score of 75 when Palmer fell and he took control as he smashed his way to a century.

He finished unbeaten on 118 from 67 balls after hitting 20 fours and two sixes. The last of his fours won the game for the home side as they ended up winning with two overs to spare.

On Saturday, June 11, Llanelli host Cowbridge while Ynynstawe travel to Penarth.

Continue Reading