Connect with us



Thomas Sinclair



Ben Leung: Hitting hard up the middle (Pic. Riley Sports)

Ben Leung: Hitting hard up the middle (Pic. Riley Sports)

LLANELLI fell to their third straight Principality defeat of the season, to leave themselves just three points above the bottom two (although this matters for little as there is no relegation for the 2015/16 season).

This will be a concern for Dai Flanagan as before this run they had been enjoying something of a renaissance in the league.

On the other hand, for visitors Newport, victory saw them go top momentarily, as their fine start to the season continues, and they remain firmly in the hunt to be crowned Principality Premiership champions, as a whole host of teams seek to end league giants Pontypridd’s four year dominance.

Newport’s form in recent years has been a long way short of what the Black and Ambers fans will have hoped for and expected, so to be challenging at the top end of the table is encouraging for the Gwent side. What was not quite so encouraging was the sight of Scarlets and Wales prop Rhodri Jones’ name on the team sheet as he made his return from a long period of injury. In the Newport team Haydn Palmer was a late replacement for unavailable Aled James at centre and an even later call was to see Joe Cullimore replace Rhys Jenkins at No.7 after Rhys suffered a reoccurrence of his knee injury, which tightened up during the warm up.

The game was all Llanelli for the first quarter as the hosts piled on relentless pressure and held onto possession. Newport’s defence stood firm and time after time the home team were turned back. Cullimore, Rhodri Jones and Brendon Lampitt formed a very efficient backrow for the visitors, who tackling ferociously and putting their bodies on the line. Llanelli were getting the majority of the refs decisions and always went in search of tries, constantly kicking penalties to the corner rather than go for goal. Indeed the hosts could have been six or eight points up after fifteen minutes but the score remained 0-0.

Newport eventually managed to acquire enough possession to make some concerted attacks and it was clear that in attack they had a greater cutting edge. A superb handling move consisting of multiple phases with quick recycling saw Newport deep in enemy territory and from a resulting penalty a five-metre line out was obtained. Dan Partridge secured possession but it was knocked on in the next phase ending a promising period of play. However the next attacking move saw some quick ‘tap and go’s’ before a beautiful reverse chip from Ryan James sent the ball into the try zone. Elliot Frewen chased hard and patiently waited for the ball to bounce in his favour before touching down for the first try. Arwel Robson missed the difficult conversion.

Five minutes later the lead was extended, as from a move straight off the training paddock, swift interplay led to Wes Cunliffe scoring out wide on the right. The conversion was missed but Newport were now dominant.

Wales prop Rhodri Jones limped off for the hosts after 30 minutes just as his team forced some rapid movement up the pitch. Newport infringed by putting hands into a ruck and this led to the often seen kick, lineout, catch, drive and 6 point try that is becoming increasingly common this season, with hooker Torin Myhill forcing his way over. Flyhalf Billy McBryde converted and Llanelli were up and running.

Just three minutes later this hard work was undone as Newport returned straight back to the Llanelli twenty-two, and superb interplay between forwards and backs, including a beautiful pass from Lavender, put Llywarch Ap Myrddin into space and the returning fullback danced his way through for a wonderful score. Robson banged over the conversion and the visitors were 8-20 to the good at half time.

The second half started with an aerial bombardment from both teams as play switched quickly from end to end. The pace of the game rose and the tiny crowd in attendance were witness to 40 minutes of the most frenetic rugby you are likely to see all season with full out attacks being met by heroic defence. Llywarch danced his way through midfield again and the Llanelli defence flapped and coughed the ball up. From the resulting scrum a neat move sent Haydn Palmer through for a well worked try that secured the bonus point and was also converted.

Moments later the lead was extended as Newport kicked a penalty to extend the lead and from the restart Llanelli squandered a great opportunity with an accidental offside and then within moments messed up another score when a beautiful cross kick was secured, only for the Dion Jones not to back himself for the inevitable score but choosing instead to pass inside to the supporting Matthew Owen, who duly dropped the ball over the line.

Owen did score in the dying moments – with McBryde converting – but it came too late to prevent a Newport victory.

If Llanelli are going to avoid losing four games on the bounce, then they will have to do it at the ‘House of Pain’ as Pontypridd, who themselves have lost three on the bounce, welcome them to Sardis Road.

Teams: Llanelli: 15.Dion Jones 14.Nathan Edwards 13.Steffan Hughes 12.Matthew Pearce 11.Matthew Owen 10.Billy McBryde: 9.Justin James 8.Trystan Lloyd 7.Shaun Edwards 6.Jack Jones 5.Christian Long 4.Rhydian Gierat 3.Rhodri Jones 2.Torin Myhill 1.Rhys Thomas Replacements: 16.Rhys Fawcett 17.Taylor Davies 18.Ben Leung 19.Greg George 20.Liam Puckett 21.Josh Guy 22.Gareth Walters 23.Paul Davies

Newport: Llywarch Ap Myrddin, Wes Cunliffe, Barney Nightingale, Aled James, Elliot Frewen, Arwel Robson, Ryan James, Brendan Lampitt, Rhys Jenkins, Rhodri Jones, Dan Partridge, Adam Brown, Alex Jeffries, Henry Palmer, John Lavender. Replacements: Evan Whitson, James Greenfield, Tom Piper, Bryce Morgan, Joe Culimore, Owen Davies, Julian Mogg, John Morris.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Scarlets convincingly beat Ospreys

Thomas Sinclair



Rainbow Cup • Scarlets 22 – Ospreys 6

SCARLETS delivered a dominant derby performance to claim their first victory of the Rainbow Cup campaign, beating the Ospreys 22-6, at a rain-soaked Parc y Scarlets.

Prop Alex Jeffries scored the only try of the match, with full-back Leigh Halfpenny delivering a typically dead-eyed goal-kicking display in atrocious conditions.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Paranormal-Banner.fw-1.png

The platform was laid by the Scarlets pack, with skipper Ken Owens, Blade Thomson and Aaron Shingler to the fore; the man of the match Kieran Hardy mixed up his game intelligently, while a much-improved defensive display saw the visitors restricted to just two kicks at goal from fly-half Luke Price.

It was the Ospreys who opened the scoring with a penalty from the boot of Price on two minutes, but the Scarlets responded strongly with Halfpenny levelling on 17 after the visitors were caught offside.

The outstanding Jonathan Davies looked like he made it over the whitewash after bursting through a couple of tackles, but the television match official adjudged the Wales centre had lost the ball as he slid over the whitewash and the score was chalked off.

Nevertheless, the Scarlets continued to boss proceedings.

With the Ospreys falling foul of Scottish referee Ben Blain, Halfpenny added a couple more penalties and an impressive half for the home side was capped when Jeffries crossed two minutes before the interval

A well-worked line-out move saw Davies burst onto a pass from Owens, breaking through a couple of tackles before feeding the tight-head prop on his inside.

Jeffries still had plenty to do but showed a superb turn of pace to race clear 20 metres to the whitewash to touch down against his former side.

That made it 16-3 at half-time with the Scarlets seemingly in firm control.

The visitors, looking for their first PRO14 win at Parc y Scarlets since 2015, did enjoy more of the game in the second period.

Price reduced the arrears with a penalty and it needed some superb defence to keep the Ospreys line-out maul at bay.

Another Halfpenny penalty five minutes from time extended the lead to 22-6 to ensure a comfortable victory and a seasonal double over the Scarlets’ arch-rivals.

Continue Reading


Three summer tests announced for Wales

Thomas Sinclair



WALES will play three summer tests in Cardiff this July as revised international fixtures have been announced.

Wayne Pivac’s side will face Canada (July 3) and back-to-back games against Argentina (July 10 & 17) at Principality Stadium.

These tests replace the scheduled summer tour to Argentina which has had to be cancelled due to the on-going COVID-19 pandemic and uncertainty around travel restrictions.

The Pumas will now travel to Cardiff for two tests against the Six Nations Champions.

Wales will kick off their summer campaign on July 3 at home to Canada. The Canucks who are coached by former Wales captains Kingsley Jones and Rob Howley will visit Cardiff for the first time since 2008.

“We are looking forward to this summer, the opportunity it presents, and we are delighted to have three tests confirmed,” said Wales head coach Wayne Pivac.

“It is disappointing not to have the opportunity to tour Argentina, especially on the back of our 2020 tour to New Zealand being cancelled, but in the current climate it is completely understandable.

“What is important is we have games and as we have said all along, this summer is a huge opportunity for us.   We are delighted and proud to have 10 players selected for the British & Irish Lions, it is reward for all their hard work and we wish them all the best this summer.

“With those players away we always earmarked this summer as an important development opportunity for us.

“It is an opportunity to bring players into this environment, look at them closely and expose them to test match rugby.  It is also an opportunity for current internationals to step-up into further leadership roles, so on both counts it is an important camp for us looking ahead to RWC2023.”

WRU CEO Steve Phillips added: “It is a huge credit to World Rugby that a full schedule of summer international rugby has been achieved against the backdrop of the global pandemic.

“Whilst it is obviously disappointing not to tour, we are delighted in Wales to be hosting Canada and to be able to honour the 2017 San Francisco agreement by hosting the Pumas for back-to-back matches, which will be hugely important to our international player development.

“Wayne has been adamant that his squad needs matches this summer and World Rugby have certainly delivered on that front.

“We are, of course, acutely aware of current restrictions and the ongoing and complex global COVID-19 picture. We will continue to monitor the situation in terms of any potential spectator access, but will remain entirely compliant and vigilant of all restrictions.

“In the current circumstances we are simply delighted to be able to play international rugby and any advance on that will be a bonus.”

Continue Reading


A 48-7 victory over Italy leaves Wales a win from the Grand Slam

Thomas Sinclair



IT was always going to be a tough game for the Italian side, but now it is official, Wales are one win away from the Grand Slam!

Wales scored seven tries through Josh Adams, Taulupe Faletau, Ken Owens (2), George North, Callum Sheedy and Louis Rees-Zammit as they secured a comfortable Six Nations win in Rome.

The unbeaten tournament leaders reeled off a third successive bonus-point victory to increase pressure on their rivals for silverware. Italy meanwhile are staring down the barrel at another Wooden Spoon – they haven’t won a Six Nations match since 2015.


The Welsh captain, Alun Wyn Jones, who is just one win away from winning his fourth Six Nations Grand Slam told S4C: “We were pretty clinical, particularly in the first half.

“We’re a tad frustrated with the second half but it’s a case of job done and plenty to work on.

“The excitement I feel every time I pull on this red jersey is insurmountable, so I’m looking forward to getting back to it on Monday and preparing for next weekend.”

Jones added: “It’s job done, but there’s still a bit to work on.”

Another heavy defeat will again raise the inevitable questions about Italy’s position in the Six Nations and whether there should be relegation.

The facts speak for themselves.

Today marked a 31st successive defeat for the Azzurri in the competition, with their last victory coming against Scotland in 2015.

Italy have not managed a home Six Nations win for eight years, with 20 successive losses.

Italy have conceded 187 points and 26 tries in four games this year.

Italy: Trulla, Bellini, Brex, Canna, Ioane, Garbisi, Varney; Fischetti, Bigi (capt), Zilocchi, Cannone, Sisi, Negri, Meyer, Lamaro.

Replacements: Fabiani for Ioane (7-18), Lovotti for Fischetti (65) Riccioni for Zilocchi (33), Lazzaroni for Cannone (52), Mbanda for Meyer (26-36), Violi for Varney (63), Mori for Garbisi (54) Padovani for Trulla (44).

Wales: L Williams; Rees-Zammit, North, J Davies, Adams; Biggar, G Davies; W Jones, Owens, Tomas Francis, Hill, AW Jones (capt), Navidi, Tipuric, Faletau.

Replacements: Dee for Owens (54), Carre for W Jones (57), Brown for Francis (45), Ball for AW Jones (54), Wainwright for Faletau (51), L Williams for G Davies (52), Sheedy for Biggar (52), Halaholo for North (46)

Match officials
Referee: Wayne Barnes (England)

Touch judges: Pascal Gauzere (France) & Christophe Ridley (England)

TMO: Tom Foley (England)


Surely it was discipline that was the main problem for Italy.

Mistakes and an incredible ability to give away stupid penalties, as a series of needless errors allowed the visitors to build an insurmountable lead early on.

It all started with Paolo Garbisi sending the ball dead from the kick-off before Luca Bigi infringed at the breakdown. The captain then cynically stopped a Gareth Davies quick tap and was duly yellow carded. Against 14 men, Wales built up an advantage they would not relinquish as the visitors won the game before it had really started. It was not a good example from the skipper and is symptomatic of where the Italians are currently at.

Arguably since before the 2017 British and Irish Lions tour, the back has struggled for form, leading many to question whether that was it for the Welsh centurion. Although he is only 28, it must be remembered that North has been around at the top level for a long time and there is only so much the body can take in modern day rugby. However, the move into the midfield seems to have given him a new lease of life.

To the surprise of many, Callum Sheedy did not start against Italy after his superb performance versus England. Instead, it was the much criticised Dan Biggar who continued at fly-half and produced a significantly improved display before giving way to the Bristol playmaker in the second period. Sheedy was also excellent when he came on and it leaves Wayne Pivac with a decision to make going forward. No doubt, Biggar will start next week against France – albeit the head coach is not afraid of making a big call – but the 25-year-old is certainly not far off the first XV.

Much has been said and written about the Azzurri’s continued presence in the Six Nations and based on the evidence in this fixture, they really shouldn’t be playing in a competition of this stature. Franco Smith’s charges were never at the races with Wales racing into a 22-0 lead midway through the half without really breaking a sweat. Italy hardly threatened on attack – especially during the first half – and it looked like it was a case of men against boys for large periods of this Test. The result means they have now lost 31 matches on the trot, which is the longest losing streak in the history of the Championship, and they last tasted victory in a Round Three clash against Scotland in 2015. The time is now ripe for tournament organisers to reconsider their participation.

Although Italy were never in this encounter, Wales deserve plenty of credit as they impressed for the entire game and made full use of the opportunities which were presented to them.

Pivac will be delighted with the clinical fashion with which his players went about their business and they had their bonus point in the bag by the half-hour mark after Josh Adams, Taulupe Faletau and Ken Owens (2) crossed for tries. Despite leading 27-0 at the interval, Wales did not take their foot of the pedal with North also crossing the whitewash soon after the restart and although Monty Ioane scored a try for the hosts, that was a mere blip as Wales continued to dominate and sealed their win with five-pointers from Sheedy and Louis Rees-Zammit.

Continue Reading