Connect with us


New Llanelli Warriors shine in high scoring encounter



Ben Kitson: Scored a great try for the Warriors

Ben Kitson: Scored a
great try for the Warriors

Furnace 38
Llanelli Warriors 42

DEFYING the wet conditions on  a weekend that very little rugby was  played, Furnace and the Warriors  served up a feast of running rugby  that would have graced any summer  pitch. The Warriors may have had  limited opportunities to play this  season but they looked hungry  rather than rusty and edged out this  high scoring encounter.  With league pressures off, Furnace  took the opportunity to experiment  with their line up whilst the Warriors  welcomed Sam Reeves for his debut  and welcomed back veteran John  Horwood from injury.

From the off the game was quick  paced despite the soft surface and  those watching were kept thoroughly  entertained.  The scores came pretty frequently  as both sides played with ambition  but the Warriors managed to be  slightly more clinical. They built a  healthy lead through the hard running  forwards, captain Andrew Davies  leading the way and mobile hooker  Steve Rees bursting clear. Although  Furnace scored next, number 8 Simon  Jenkins and lock Rhydian Williams  extended the Warriors lead and in  the end despite a Furnace come back,  these hard won efforts secured the  result.  Furnace looked to move the ball  more and tended to score through their  backs. Luke Jenkins had a fine game  and Dyfan Watkins was strong up  front for the home team.

They scored  several excellent tries with Simon  Day going the length of the pitch and  Ben Kitson finishing a flowing move.  Had a couple more passes gone to  hand then the score would have been  even closer.  In an excellent team performance  the Warriors were most pleased to see  some of their newer players getting  on the score sheet, Dai Haines and  Tom Allom scored their 1st tries.  David was later named man of the  match just ahead of Tom Hall whilst  Tom also got his second try. Veteran  full back Gareth Ladd completed the  scoring for the Warriors, benefitting  from a strong rolling maul.  Both sides can take plenty from  their performances. Furnace will  hope to take some of those positives  into their league campaign whilst the  Warriors will look to strengthen their  defence to add to some impressive set  pieces as they hope for a busier new  year.

Finally a mention for newly  qualified referee Stephen Rees from  the Warriors club who took charge  of the game in an unbiased and  professional manner that helped  everyone’s enjoyment.

Team:  Llanelli Warriors: James Jeffery  (Gareth Ladd), Ben Kitson (Ivan  Albrightson, Ryan Morgan), Ben  Winstanley (Liam Tobias), Sam  Reeves (Nathan Murphy), Tom Allom  (Simon Day), Jamie Evans, Craig  James, David Haines, Steve Rees  (Richard Evans), Alun Stephens,  Andrew Davies (Cpt), Rhydian  Williams (John Horwood), Tom Hall,  Simon Jenkins, Gwilym Lewis

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Legg departs Llanelli Town



MANAGER Andy Legg has left Llanelli Town as the club seeks to make a number of changes.

Lee departed on Thursday evening (Nov 25) while coaches Gary Lloyd and Chris Thomas have also left their roles.

It comes just hours after the club announced that captain Kyle Copp had also left the club.

Kyle made 42 appearances for the Reds scoring 8 goals. He made his debut against Goytre back in August 2019.

The club had also announced on Tuesday that Zac Brown was leaving the club. He had played 41 times for the Reds scoring nine times.

Speaking of Legg’s departure a statement on the club’s social media pages reads: “Although not an easy decision given his club status and what he has achieved over the years here at Stebonheath Park we would all like to wish him the best and he will always receive a warm welcome here.

“With our club vision set out by chairman Wayne Stephens many changes will be made throughout the whole club over the Christmas period.

“We will announce Andy’s successor in due course. Thanks again Leggy.”

Commenting on his departure on Twitter, Andy said: “Just a quick message to say thank you the supporters for you support during my time at the club. We wish the club well.”

Llanelli Town currently sit in sixth place in the JD Cymru South table with six wins, five draws and four defeats in their 15 league games so far this season.

Legg’s last game in charge of the club was a 3-0 loss away at Goytre United.

They are next in action on Friday, December 3, when they face Goytre United in the reverse fixture at Stebonheath Park, kick off 7:30pm.

PHOTO by Llanelli Town

Continue Reading


Trostre win again in Premier Division



TROSTRE picked up another win in the Carmarthenshire Premier Division on Saturday (Nov 20) as they came from behind to beat Seaside.

Nathan Lewis put Seaside ahead on 11 minutes but Dominic Saunders levelled for the league leaders on 25 minutes.

Just three minutes later Liam Jones scored to put Trostre ahead and Luke Jones scored ten minutes before the break to make it 3-1.

They were then dealt a blow as Jack James was shown a second yellow card and was given his marching orders shortly before half time.

Just a minute later Tray Jenkins scored for the home side to make it 2-3 and to give them some hope of turning the game around in the second half.

However, just three minutes in to the second half Liam Jones scored his second goal of the game and he then completed his hat trick on 50 minutes.

That made it 5-2 to the visitors and all but ended any hopes Seaside had of getting something from the game.

Luke Jones then scored his second goal of the game on 64 minutes to make it 6-2.

Christopher Price-Williams completed the scoring with fourteen minutes to go but that wasn’t the end of the action.

Seaside were given a penalty two minutes from the end but Jay Evans could not convert the spot kick and Trostre saw the game out for a 7-2 win.

Elsewhere in the Premier Division, Pengelli and Pontlliw drew 2-2.

Adam Scott put Pontlliw ahead after just six minutes as he scored a penalty but Shaun Rees equalised for Pengelli only four minutes later.

Ben Higgins scored on 89 minutes to seemingly give Pontlliw the win but in injury time, Carl Timbrell scored to make it 2-2.

The other game saw Killay earn a 2-1 win away at Loughor Rovers.

After a goalless first half, Ben Lynch opened the scoring on 51 minutes and just five minutes it was 2-0 as Liam Bennett doubled Killay’s lead.

Sub Michael Grimwade pulled a goal back for Loughor with nine minutes to go but they were unable to find an equaliser.

Fixtures for Saturday, November 27:

Burry Port v Killay

Gorseinon Athletic v Trallwm

Pontlliw v Loughor

Seaside v Pengelli United

All games are scheduled to kick off at 2pm.

Continue Reading


Burry Port and Gorseinon share the points



BURRY Port and Gorseinon shared the points on Saturday (Nov 20) as their Carmarthenshire Premier Division game finished 2-2.

The game was just four minutes old when the first goal went in as Charlie Taylor finished after being set up by Lewis James.

Gorseinon battled back though and just ten minutes later they were given a penalty. Matthew Brandon took the spot kick and scored to level the game.

Just six minutes before the break the visitors were given another penalty and Brandon again stepped up to score.

Gorseinon led 2-1 at the break but they knew they would face a comeback from a Burry Port side who had got back to winning ways the previous week, having not won since September 11.

And in the 62nd minute they did get themselves level as Taylor scored his second goal of the game.

Both sides went in search of a winner in what was a competitive game but it finished 2-2.

On Saturday, November 27, Burry Port host Killay while Gorseinon Athletic are at home against Trallwm.

PHOTO by Darren Harries

Continue Reading