Connect with us


Llanelli swim into round two



Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 09.32.09

Lake Tata: A large patch of water engulfed the pitch

LLANELLI ensured they will be in round two of this years Swalec Cup with a hard fought victory against a brutal Tata Steel side in what can only be described as atrocious conditions, in which a large section of the pitch was under an inch of water by the end of the 80 minutes.

The game was moved to the Championship side’s ground to protect the surface at Parc y Scarlets, where the Scarlets met Connacht on Sunday, and the players ended up sloshing about in ankle deep water by the end, in a bruising encounter, in which the Principality Premiership side just about showed their class. Llanelli centre Nathan Edwards got the decisive try as he touched down with twenty minutes to play to add to a previous penalty try to ensure that the side from Parc y Scarlets avoided a potential early banana skin.

There was an early burst from the hosts as winger Kristian Jenkins gave the Championship side a fine start, but eventually the visitors fought their way to an impressive victory. With the rain pelting down at a horizontal angle as the howling wind brought it in, both sides struggled to handle the ball, but the home side will have been pleased with their start, as they got to grips with the wet ball quicker than their visitors. However with every second that passed, the pitch got worse and worse, and it is testament to the referee that the game was able to continue to a result, as he could quite easily have called the tie off and created even more of a fixture backlog. Jenkins’ try came just before the ten minute mark, and Steve Lewis stepped up to knock the hosts into an early 7-0 lead, but this was to prove to be their only points as a frustrating 70 minutes against a resolute Llanelli defence followed.

Llanelli had decided to wear their white kit to attempt to make it easier for the two sides to be told apart, however this proved to be unsuccessful as time wore on and both sides resembled the old grey Wales change kit, which made the breakdown area a nightmare to referee. The visitors began to turn the screw and after a wave of attacks inside the twenty-two were halted illegally, referee Justin Evans had no choice but to award the penalty try, with Billy McBryde knocking over the conversion to level the scores.

The second half began in relatively glorious conditions as the rain eased slightly and Tata almost took the lead after a fine move resulted in Phillips putting fullback Lloyd Rogers into a gap, but the rampaging 15 was stopped just short of the line, as his legs failed to move quick enough in the bog that had assembled under his studs. Despite a brave effort from the Tata steel defence, Edwards eventually found a gap after several probing runs off the shoulder of McBryde and with twenty minutes to play he romped over in the corner to give his side the lead. McBryde missed a difficult conversion, slipping slightly as he struck the ball. With just five minutes to play victory, and a place in the hat for round two was secured as McBryde knocked over a penalty to end what was a real game of attrition.

Llanelli Team: 15. Gareth Walters, 14. Shaun Pearce, 13. Nathan Edwards, 12. Matthew Pearce, 11. Ryan Davies, 10. Billy McBryde, 9. Josh Guy, 8. Elliott Rees, 7. Owain Morgan, 6. Nathan Hart, 5. Liam Puckett, 4. Adam Powell, 3. Tom Kaijaks, 2. Torin Myhill, 1. Rhys Fawcett

Replacements: 16. Sam Martin, 17. Greg George, 18. Jack Payne, 20. Lewis Johnson, 21. Justin James, 22. Josh Lewis, 23. Paul Davies

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Pontarddulais Workmens seal fine victory in Snooker League



STEVE Dunn’s fine 73 break was the undoubted highlight of Pontarddulais Workmens’ solid 6-1 victory against Burry Port Legion in the Llanelli Snooker first division.

Mike Footman, Keri Davies, Adam Griffiths and Kevin Sullivan added winning support while just Rich Nurse averted the whitewash for the Legion, for whom Rob Davies made a 32 break.

Dan Wells also made a 70-plus break, a fine 74 knock as Matchroom Reds also won 6-1, R.Evans, J.Thomas, L.Grey and C.Price also on top against Upper Tumble Blues; only E.Rees won for the visitors.

Similarly, just Nigel Lewis won as his side, Ponthenri crashed 6-1 at Gorseinon Workmens’; D.Williams (47), J.Wilcox, M.Dodd and K.Murrells added wins for the Brighton Road cuemen.

It was closer at Trimsaran, where the home side edged a 4-3 win against Llandybie Social A, courtesy of J.Tudor, C.Thomas (30) and L.Lloyd; Lindsey Pugh, Huw Morgan and Wyn Major hit back for the latter.

Andrew Hatto and Gavin Lewis were on the ball for Morfa, who went down 5-2 at Snooker World Whites; Andrew Whitfield (51 break), B.Thomas, J.Gimblett and A.Krysa added wins for the Ammanford side ,who, in a busy week, also won 4-3 at Pontyberem, thanks to A.Krysa, C.Jackson and B.Thomas; E.Bowen, S.Caton and A.Harris replied for ‘Berem.

Pontyberem also during the week were beaten 5-2 at Cross Hands B, whose frame winners were A.Phillips, Dai Isaacs, Gary Stead and Paul Martin.

Llanesco enjoyed a 5-2 victory at Llanelli Cons A, following wins from P.Shoulder, L.Lloyd, D.Bohn and M.Stevenson; Cons’ winning duo were Mark Sargent and Gavin Quinnell.

Elsewhere, C.Jones and L.Jones (31) were on top for Reading Room Blues in the Burry Port side’s 5-2 defeat at Matchroom Whites, with C.Davies, D.Roberts, L.Davies and W.Bowen on song for the “Gwyns”.

In Division 2, D.Jones, D.Sigsworth and S.Wright edged an aggregate win by just 12 points for Llandybie RFC in a 4-3 result against Upper Tumble Reds, who hit back via Mike Sainty, S.Marsall and N.Allinson.

T.Rawlings, J.Dean and C.Hurley claimed a similar 4-3 win for Burry Port Reading Room Reds against Snooker World Blues; Chris Waters, Callum Fuge and Steffan Rees were on song for the visitors.

It also needed the aggregate to split the sides as Llandybie Social B saw off Cross Hands A 4-3, Steve Pearson, Ian Matthews and Howard Wood winning; Adam Rees, Scott Bundfuss and Elwyn Williams were on the ball for the latter.

Matchroom Blacks returned from their visit to Upper Tumble Reds clutching a 5-2 success, after Rhys Morgans, Dean Shoulder, Ryan Maides and James Anthony had all won their frames; Steve Marshall and R.Williams replied for the  hosts.

Bern Price, Ray Barney, G.Stollery and K.Gronow gave the Gremlin Club A a 5-2 victory against Bryn A; J.Townsend and J.Jones replying.

In other news, there were Cup wins for Llanesco (4-1 against Cross Hands A), also Llanelli Cons A (5-2 at Matchroom Blacks), and for Llandybie Social B (5-2 over Bryn B).

Continue Reading


Bury Port withstand Tenby fightback



BURY PORT had to withstand a strong second half comeback from Tenby United on Saturday (Nov 27) as they earned a 27-21 victory.

The Blacks had raced into a 27-0 at half time with tries coming from Lewis Daniel, David Booth, Bradley Crossman and Joshua Evans

Lee Evans added two conversions and a penalty as they built up a commanding lead.

In a game of two halves it was the Seasiders who started well in the second half and their play was soon rewarded.

Luke Dedman, Yannic Parker and Jack Broadhurst all scored tries for Tenby in the second half as they looked to get something from the game.

Gwion Jones converted all three tries from under the posts as the visiting Seasiders at least earned a losing bonus point for their efforts.

They were however left feeling that they could have won the game following their second half display.

They will look to put that right on Saturday, December 4, when they travel to Pontarddulais.

The win for Burry Port puts them top of the League 2 West table with 9 points from their opening two games.

On Saturday they will look for another win as they travel to Pontyberem.

PHOTO by Darren Harries

Continue Reading


Legg departs Llanelli Town



MANAGER Andy Legg has left Llanelli Town as the club seeks to make a number of changes.

Lee departed on Thursday evening (Nov 25) while coaches Gary Lloyd and Chris Thomas have also left their roles.

It comes just hours after the club announced that captain Kyle Copp had also left the club.

Kyle made 42 appearances for the Reds scoring 8 goals. He made his debut against Goytre back in August 2019.

The club had also announced on Tuesday that Zac Brown was leaving the club. He had played 41 times for the Reds scoring nine times.

Speaking of Legg’s departure a statement on the club’s social media pages reads: “Although not an easy decision given his club status and what he has achieved over the years here at Stebonheath Park we would all like to wish him the best and he will always receive a warm welcome here.

“With our club vision set out by chairman Wayne Stephens many changes will be made throughout the whole club over the Christmas period.

“We will announce Andy’s successor in due course. Thanks again Leggy.”

Commenting on his departure on Twitter, Andy said: “Just a quick message to say thank you the supporters for you support during my time at the club. We wish the club well.”

Llanelli Town currently sit in sixth place in the JD Cymru South table with six wins, five draws and four defeats in their 15 league games so far this season.

Legg’s last game in charge of the club was a 3-0 loss away at Goytre United.

They are next in action on Friday, December 3, when they face Goytre United in the reverse fixture at Stebonheath Park, kick off 7:30pm.

PHOTO by Llanelli Town

Continue Reading