Connect with us


Reds back with a bang



Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 09.51.43

Cut up: The Stebonheath surface suffered during the game

Welsh League Division Two

Llanelli Town 4

AFC Porth 0

LLANELLI exploded back on to the Welsh League Division Two scene after an enforced absence of over a month due to waterlogged pitches, dispatching of a mid-table AFC Porth team to reignite their promotion challenge.

Both sides were back in action after a long period of inactivity due to the atrocious weather with the Reds playing their first game since early December, while their opponents` last outing was in late October. Again, conditions were far from ideal, with heavy, blustery showers sweeping across the ground, combined with a gusty, swirling wind, and the playing surface at the close had cut up badly.

The home side included new signings Anton Owens and Jandir Zola on their bench, with Owens coming on as a replacement for Nathan Logan at the start of the second half, and they were soon on the offensive with Richard Lewis forcing Porth keeper Chris Golton to divert his effort from distance around the post after the initial pass from Declan John set up the chance. The visitors then created an opportunity when Nathan Doe latched on to a through ball and advanced on the goal, but Reds` keeper Craig Richards got down to grasp his finish at full stretch. Liam Samuel then had a great chance of putting the hosts ahead when he was played in ten yards out, but he dragged his shot wide of the far post. He made amends, however, when he was involved in the opening goal after 11 minutes, finding John whose cross to the back post was met by Logan who directed his header beyond Gorton.

This success spurred on the home side who were in complete control of proceedings with Samuel again prominent in a build-up which culminated in Matthew Hughes forcing the Porth keeper to direct his shot for a corner. From this, taken by Lewis, Logan rose to meet it but headed over from point blank range, and when Lewis delivered a ball into the goalmouth, Sam Wade narrowly failed to make a connection. Wade was then heavily involved in the Reds` second goal on 32 minutes, carving open the Porth defence with a great pass which enabled Hughes to run on to before slotting his finish beyond Gorton. Three minutes later, the lead was stretched further with Lewis providing a cross into the crowded goalmouth, which seemingly evaded everyone, before Samuel arrived to force the ball home on the line.

A fourth success arrived within a further two minutes with Hughes being found in space before crossing into the middle where Wade was on hand to net from close in. The visitors briefly rallied, with Doe again being denied by Richards who kept out his shot with an outstretched foot. Four up at the break and with the match virtually won, the second half turned out to be something of a non-event for the home side, and with their opponents woefully bereft of any attacking options, the only event of note was the dismissal after 53 minutes of Samuel following a clash with Brad Williams who escaped with a caution.

Despite the introduction of Steve Berry and Bruno Forkuoh for Wade and Hughes respectively, the Reds failed to add to their lead, while Porth won their solitary corner of the contest after 73 minutes. Nevertheless, it was good to see the Reds back in action and secure the three points and a clean sheet in their goal of possible promotion at the end of the season.


Llanelli Town: Richards; I. Evans; Lewis; Thomas; J. Evans; Bevan; Wade (Berry, 69); John; Logan (Owens, 46); Samuel; Hughes (Forkuoh, 71). Subs. not used; Harries; Zola.

AFC Porth: Golton; Williams (Heycock, 75); Parsons (Bullock, 64); Bird; Dwyer; Luck; Taylor (Price, 70); Davies; Doe; Vivers; Flynn. Sub not used; Smith.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Pontarddulais Workmens seal fine victory in Snooker League



STEVE Dunn’s fine 73 break was the undoubted highlight of Pontarddulais Workmens’ solid 6-1 victory against Burry Port Legion in the Llanelli Snooker first division.

Mike Footman, Keri Davies, Adam Griffiths and Kevin Sullivan added winning support while just Rich Nurse averted the whitewash for the Legion, for whom Rob Davies made a 32 break.

Dan Wells also made a 70-plus break, a fine 74 knock as Matchroom Reds also won 6-1, R.Evans, J.Thomas, L.Grey and C.Price also on top against Upper Tumble Blues; only E.Rees won for the visitors.

Similarly, just Nigel Lewis won as his side, Ponthenri crashed 6-1 at Gorseinon Workmens’; D.Williams (47), J.Wilcox, M.Dodd and K.Murrells added wins for the Brighton Road cuemen.

It was closer at Trimsaran, where the home side edged a 4-3 win against Llandybie Social A, courtesy of J.Tudor, C.Thomas (30) and L.Lloyd; Lindsey Pugh, Huw Morgan and Wyn Major hit back for the latter.

Andrew Hatto and Gavin Lewis were on the ball for Morfa, who went down 5-2 at Snooker World Whites; Andrew Whitfield (51 break), B.Thomas, J.Gimblett and A.Krysa added wins for the Ammanford side ,who, in a busy week, also won 4-3 at Pontyberem, thanks to A.Krysa, C.Jackson and B.Thomas; E.Bowen, S.Caton and A.Harris replied for ‘Berem.

Pontyberem also during the week were beaten 5-2 at Cross Hands B, whose frame winners were A.Phillips, Dai Isaacs, Gary Stead and Paul Martin.

Llanesco enjoyed a 5-2 victory at Llanelli Cons A, following wins from P.Shoulder, L.Lloyd, D.Bohn and M.Stevenson; Cons’ winning duo were Mark Sargent and Gavin Quinnell.

Elsewhere, C.Jones and L.Jones (31) were on top for Reading Room Blues in the Burry Port side’s 5-2 defeat at Matchroom Whites, with C.Davies, D.Roberts, L.Davies and W.Bowen on song for the “Gwyns”.

In Division 2, D.Jones, D.Sigsworth and S.Wright edged an aggregate win by just 12 points for Llandybie RFC in a 4-3 result against Upper Tumble Reds, who hit back via Mike Sainty, S.Marsall and N.Allinson.

T.Rawlings, J.Dean and C.Hurley claimed a similar 4-3 win for Burry Port Reading Room Reds against Snooker World Blues; Chris Waters, Callum Fuge and Steffan Rees were on song for the visitors.

It also needed the aggregate to split the sides as Llandybie Social B saw off Cross Hands A 4-3, Steve Pearson, Ian Matthews and Howard Wood winning; Adam Rees, Scott Bundfuss and Elwyn Williams were on the ball for the latter.

Matchroom Blacks returned from their visit to Upper Tumble Reds clutching a 5-2 success, after Rhys Morgans, Dean Shoulder, Ryan Maides and James Anthony had all won their frames; Steve Marshall and R.Williams replied for the  hosts.

Bern Price, Ray Barney, G.Stollery and K.Gronow gave the Gremlin Club A a 5-2 victory against Bryn A; J.Townsend and J.Jones replying.

In other news, there were Cup wins for Llanesco (4-1 against Cross Hands A), also Llanelli Cons A (5-2 at Matchroom Blacks), and for Llandybie Social B (5-2 over Bryn B).

Continue Reading


Bury Port withstand Tenby fightback



BURY PORT had to withstand a strong second half comeback from Tenby United on Saturday (Nov 27) as they earned a 27-21 victory.

The Blacks had raced into a 27-0 at half time with tries coming from Lewis Daniel, David Booth, Bradley Crossman and Joshua Evans

Lee Evans added two conversions and a penalty as they built up a commanding lead.

In a game of two halves it was the Seasiders who started well in the second half and their play was soon rewarded.

Luke Dedman, Yannic Parker and Jack Broadhurst all scored tries for Tenby in the second half as they looked to get something from the game.

Gwion Jones converted all three tries from under the posts as the visiting Seasiders at least earned a losing bonus point for their efforts.

They were however left feeling that they could have won the game following their second half display.

They will look to put that right on Saturday, December 4, when they travel to Pontarddulais.

The win for Burry Port puts them top of the League 2 West table with 9 points from their opening two games.

On Saturday they will look for another win as they travel to Pontyberem.

PHOTO by Darren Harries

Continue Reading


Legg departs Llanelli Town



MANAGER Andy Legg has left Llanelli Town as the club seeks to make a number of changes.

Lee departed on Thursday evening (Nov 25) while coaches Gary Lloyd and Chris Thomas have also left their roles.

It comes just hours after the club announced that captain Kyle Copp had also left the club.

Kyle made 42 appearances for the Reds scoring 8 goals. He made his debut against Goytre back in August 2019.

The club had also announced on Tuesday that Zac Brown was leaving the club. He had played 41 times for the Reds scoring nine times.

Speaking of Legg’s departure a statement on the club’s social media pages reads: “Although not an easy decision given his club status and what he has achieved over the years here at Stebonheath Park we would all like to wish him the best and he will always receive a warm welcome here.

“With our club vision set out by chairman Wayne Stephens many changes will be made throughout the whole club over the Christmas period.

“We will announce Andy’s successor in due course. Thanks again Leggy.”

Commenting on his departure on Twitter, Andy said: “Just a quick message to say thank you the supporters for you support during my time at the club. We wish the club well.”

Llanelli Town currently sit in sixth place in the JD Cymru South table with six wins, five draws and four defeats in their 15 league games so far this season.

Legg’s last game in charge of the club was a 3-0 loss away at Goytre United.

They are next in action on Friday, December 3, when they face Goytre United in the reverse fixture at Stebonheath Park, kick off 7:30pm.

PHOTO by Llanelli Town

Continue Reading