Connect with us


Reds continue free fall down the table



Bruno Forkuoh: Goal couldn't prevent a loss

Bruno Forkuoh: Goal couldn’t prevent a loss

Llanelli Town 2

Pontardawe Town 4

THESE are desperate times for the Reds as they succumbed to a fourth successive league defeat at the hands of opponents who appear to be well placed to be on course in their aim of a position in the first division following relegation at the end of last season.

In contrast, the home side are struggling to reproduce the early season form, which brought them nine wins, and only one defeat in their opening ten league and cup matches.

They have now shipped thirteen goals in the last four fixtures while only managing to score four, and having played half their games, prospects of being involved in the promotion places are fast receding.

They began well enough, and were ahead as early as the ninth minute through Bruno Forkuoh who was sent clear by a Luke Jones assist before burying his finish past Steve Reeve in the visitors` goal.

They went close again when Lee Bevan might perhaps have done better with his header at the far post following a Richard Lewis corner, before Bevan came to the rescue at the other end, pulling off a saving tackle on Joshua Dorwood when he threatened to break through on goal.

As the game progressed, the visitors were making inroads into the action, and drew level on 27 minutes through Rob Shannon who met a high hanging cross on the byline before directing a header past Alex Ramsay.

An effort by Dorwood when he broke down the right drifted just wide, but in first half stoppage time it was the home side who regained the initiative through Bevan who took full advantage when Reeve failed to gather cleanly a routine catch from a Lewis free kick, stabbing the ball home from point blank range.

Lewis himself went close after the restart, forcing Reeve to push clear his fierce near post attempt, but on 61 minutes the visitors levelled matters again with a training ground move which saw Dorwood drill a low ball infield from a corner where it was met by Dan Williams who struck his finish through a crowded area past Ramsay.

Seven minutes later, Pontardawe went ahead for the first time in the contest when Bevan was caught in possession by Shannon who made ground towards goal and found the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

Event got a lot worse for the hosts when they conceded again after 74 minutes, Shannon completing his hat trick when he was found in space in the middle by Liam Griffiths, and duly slotted his finish beyond the keeper.

Referee Eddie King had been kept busy throughout in attempting to keep the lid on a local derby which threatened at times to boil over, producing a rash of yellow cards, and inevitably, five minutes from time he was forced to produce a red card for Reds` striker, Jones, for a second caution when he thrust both hands into the chest of Kieron Howells.

Another calamitous night for the home side, and on the evidence of the last four performances, it is difficult to see where a win is going to come from.


Llanelli Town: Ramsay; I. Evans (Harries, 51); Lewis; Thomas; J. Evans; Bevan; Wade (Logan, 74); John; Jones; Samuel (Hughes, 80); Forkuoh.

Subs not used: Berry; Zola.

Pontardawe Town: Reeve; Evans; Rogers; Jeffries; E. Thomas; Jones; Williams (Harris, 87); Roberts (Howells, 80); Shannon (Hughes, 75); Griffiths; Darwood.  Sub not used; N. Thomas.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Gascoigne entertains Llanelli



OVER 400 people were at attendance in the Selwyn Samuel Centre in Llanelli on Saturday (Jun 18) to see former England legend Paul Gascoigne talk about his life and footballing career.

Gazza had the crowd in stitches with his stories from his past and was visibly emotional with the crowd’s warm reaction to him being there.

At one point a member of the crowd asked him if he could play one last game for one team who would it be… his answer was Swansea City to the crowds delight.

His next event will be in Tenby on September 17. The event was kindly sponsored by RDH Contractors and Sylan Lakes holiday cottages in five roads.

Continue Reading


Ryan Giggs quits as Wales manager with ‘immediate effect’



EX Man-Utd winger has left his position as the manager of the national football team with ‘immediate effect’.

Giggs stepped back from his role in November 2020 following after being arrested.

49-year-old Giggs has been charged with assault and using controlling behaviour towards an ex-partner. A claim that Giggs has denied.

In a heartfelt statement on his decision, Giggs said: “After much consideration, I am standing down from my position as manager of the Wales men’s national team with immediate effect.

“It has been an honour and a privilege to manage my country, but it is only right that the Wales FA, the coaching staff and the players prepare for the tournament with certainty, clarification and without speculation around the position of their head coach.

“I do not want the country’s preparations for the World Cup to be affected, destabilised or jeopardised in any way by the continued interest around this case.

“I am sad that we cannot continue this journey together because I believe that this extraordinary group will make the country proud at our first World Cup since 1958.

“It is my intention to resume my managerial career at a later date.”

Following Giggs arrest in 2020, former Wales captain Robert Page took over as interim manager.

Under Page Wales beat Ukraine to earn themselves a place at Qatar World Cup for the first time in 64 years.

Giggs faces one charge of using controlling and coercive behaviour August 2017 and November 2020, one charge of assault causing actual bodily harm of his ex-girlfriend Kate Greville on November 1, 2020.

He also faces a charge of common assault on the victim’s sister.

Giggs denies all charges against him and will stand trial on August 8.

The trial is expected to last five days.

Following the announcement, a FAW spokesperson said: “The FAW places on record its gratitude to Ryan Giggs for his tenure as manager of the Cymru men’s national team and appreciates the decision he has taken, which is in the best interests of Welsh football,

“The full focus of the FAW and the Cymru men’s national team is on the Fifa World Cup in Qatar later this year.”

Continue Reading


Llanelli edged out as Ynystawe pull off mammoth chase



A SCORE of 331-4 would normally be enough for a team to pick up victory, but South Wales Premier Division 2 leaders Ynystawe had other ideas as they pulled off a remarkable chase on Saturday (Jun 4).

Llanelli had been asked to bat first after Ynystawe had won the toss and their total was underpinned by a brilliant unbeaten century from Iwan Rees.

The opener hit sixteen fours and four sixes in his knock of 153 which came off 146 balls.

He had good support from Steven Devonald who scored 29 and Rhydian Morgan who scored 20 (2 fours, 1 six).

Rees and Rhys Harris shared the best stand of the match as they put on 157 runs for the fourth wicket.

Harris hit 12 fours in his score of 87 from 74 balls but he was out to the bowling of Rhys Palmer.

Rhys Westcott also finished unbeaten on 18 from 11 balls as Ynystawe were set 332 to win the game.

In reply, opener Nathan Lee scored 20 before falling to Jac Rees who also then took the wicket of Morgan Hodges on a score of 23.

Carl Roberts played well for his half century, hitting eight fours in his score of 56 before being trapped leg before by Aled Gilley.

Andrew Beasley was run out on a score of 15 and that left Ynystawe on 140-4.

Thomas Morgan and Luke Garthwaite shared 93 runs for the fifth wicket. Both reached their half centuries but Morgan was out to Iwan Rees on a score of 50.

Rees also bowled Ceri Durke and Rhys Palmer was run out by Rhydian Morgan having hit a four and a six in a quickfire score of 15.

That left Ynystawe 275-7 and they only had six overs left to get their target.

Garthwaite was on a score of 75 when Palmer fell and he took control as he smashed his way to a century.

He finished unbeaten on 118 from 67 balls after hitting 20 fours and two sixes. The last of his fours won the game for the home side as they ended up winning with two overs to spare.

On Saturday, June 11, Llanelli host Cowbridge while Ynynstawe travel to Penarth.

Continue Reading