Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Care home ‘scaremongering’ must stop

Jon Coles

Published

on

Caemaen Care Home: New care home will not lead to closure

Caemaen Care Home: New care home will not lead to closure

RUMOURS about the closure of a council-run care home in Llanelli must stop to protect vulnerable residents, according to a council officer, who gave a categorical denial that this was on the cards.

Councillor Siân Caiach has previously raised concerns about the future of Caemaen Care Home, and has campaigned with others for Llanelli care homes to stay open in the past.

At Tuesday’s Full Council meeting (Feb 23), Cllr Caiach asked for clarification of the plans, following the executive Board revealing that they had ‘no definite plans’ for the new £12.5m care home planned for Llanelli as part of the five year Capital Programme:

“I’ve asked before, and will ask again, about the future of our own care home for the frail elderly in Caemaen, and whether or not this is going to be replaced by the extra care home, which is of course a different matter,” she said.

“I really feel this extra care home is part of a privatisation agenda.”

Council Chair Peter Hughes- Griffiths wondered whether the question had been answered before in a council meeting:

“If we haven’t done it before, can we do it today?” he suggested.

Responding, Councillor Jane Tremlett, who holds the health and social care portfolio, said that the new home was in a very early stage, and no allocation had been made for the site or number of users.

“I am very keen that we actually look at the needs of the people of Llanelli,” Cllr Tremlett added.

“The detail has to be worked out based on the need – not just now, but future, planning 15, 20, 25 years ahead, so we actually get it right.

“I think that’s the important thing we must never forget; however grandiose these schemes might be, we are looking at providing care for people that is what they need, and where they need it.”

Cllr Tremlett also suggested that, along with other parties, including Labour, she believed that a mixed economy of private and public sector was the ‘way to go.’

Director of Community Services Jake Morgan gave full assurance that Caemaen would remain open: “I think it’s important to be absolutely clear: the development of new provision isn’t related to the closure of other provision,” he stated.

“I have said that many times – I couldn’t have been more definitive about that, and nor could Cllr Tremlett.”

Mr Morgan also suggested that unfounded speculation concerning the closure of Caemaen was unhelpful to residents.

“I think that it is probably important, given the vulnerability of people in the various provisions, and how easy it is to start anxieties, that maybe we put a stop to that narrative – that one is related to the other,” he added.

“We have expanding demand in that area, and we have a capital commitment to meet some of that demand to maintain a balance of in-house and external provision.

Mr Morgan also pointed out that, rather than being a privately-run facility, the new care home would be run by the Housing Association, and domicillary care would be in-house, leading to ‘an element of growth’ in this provision.

Former Chair of Save Our Homes Jan Wiliams said that people needed to know more detail as soon as possible: “There has been a lot of scaremongering, and people are nervous,” she said.

“I do feel that extra care is the way forward – in addition to the external provision we need care homes for the elderly, care homes that are run by the council, because believe it or not, the public trust us when it comes to running a care home.”

Continue Reading
1 Comment

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

£100,000 of cannabis plants seized in west Wales police raid

Thomas Sinclair

Published

on

POLICE seized cannabis plants worth an estimated £100,000 during a warrant near Ammanford.

Dyfed-Powys Police searched a home in Garnant on Wednesday, July 21, where 100 plants were discovered to be growing in the front room and two bedrooms.

Given the number and maturity of some of the plants, officers estimate the quantity of cannabis growing to be worth around £100,000.

Sergeant Gemma Davies said: “This was a significant seizure of cannabis plants, which were growing in a sophisticated set-up across three rooms.

“Our investigation is ongoing into who is responsible, as there was nobody present at the time of the warrant, and we are carrying out all possible lines of enquiry to identify a suspect.

“I would like to thank all officers involved for showing great teamwork during the warrant and subsequent enquiries.”

Anyone with information that could help officers with their investigation is asked to report it to Dyfed-Powys Police, either online at: https://bit.ly/DPPContactOnline, by emailing 101@dyfed-powys.pnn.police.uk, or by calling 101.

If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908.

Quote reference: DPP/2891/21/07/2021/02/C.

Alternatively, contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously by calling 0800 555111, or visiting crimestoppers-uk.org

(Picture above: File Image)

Continue Reading

News

Four charged with conspiracy to supply class A drugs

Carli Newell

Published

on

FOUR people have been arrested and charged as part of an investigation into an organised crime gang supplying class A drugs from London to Aberystwyth, Llanelli and Swansea.

Dyfed-Powys Police, with support from The Met Police, carried out warrants at four addresses on July 21, resulting in four arrests.

Mohammed Osman, aged 23, Yonis Mohammed, aged 20, Salman Mohamoud, aged 23 – all from Islington – and Amy Simmons, aged 21, from Dulwich were charged with a total of 12 offences:

  • Mohammed Osman: Two counts of conspiring to supply class A drug heroin, and two counts of conspiring to supply class A drug crack cocaine,
  • Yonis Mohammed: Two counts of conspiring to supply class A drug heroin, and two counts of conspiring to supply class A drug crack cocaine.
  • Salman Mohamoud: Conspiring to supply class A drug heroin, and conspiring to supply class A drug crack cocaine
  • Amy Simmons: Conspiring to supply class A drug heroin, and conspiring to supply class A drug crack cocaine.

All four appeared at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Friday, July 23, where they were remanded in custody. They are due to appear at Swansea Crown Court for their next hearing on August 20.

The investigation is being carried out by the Ceredigion Serious and Organised Crime Team, Aberystwyth CID and the Operation Orochi command of the Met Police.

Detective Sergeant Steve Jones said: “These four arrests and charges are the result of a coordinated approach to target an organised crime gang we believe is running a county lines operation into the Dyfed-Powys Police force area.

“We will continue to work diligently to disrupt gangs of this kind, to prevent the supply of illegal substances into our community.

“I would like to thank all officers involved, as well as the Met Police for their part in the operation.”

Continue Reading

News

New children’s play area in Bryn as part of new council housing development

Carli Newell

Published

on

A NEW children’s play area has opened in time for the summer holidays in Bryn, Llanelli as part of a new £5.9million council housing development.

Carmarthenshire County Council is building 32 new homes on land close to the Dylan housing estate in Bryn.

The scheme will be made up of 22 two-bedroom homes, four two-bedroom bungalows and six four-bedroom homes and is part of the council’s ongoing drive to deliver more affordable homes across the county. It has been part funded through the Welsh Government’s Affordable Housing Grant.

The development also includes a new children’s play area, funded by the council in partnership with Llanelli Rural Council, which will take over the running and maintenance of the play area on completion.

Executive Board Member for Housing Cllr Linda Evans said: “I am delighted the park has been completed in time for the summer holidays for the local children to enjoy.

“We are committed to delivering more affordable housing across Carmarthenshire and this development will benefit dozens of families in Llanelli, as well as proving much needed facilities for the local community.

“I would like to thank the rural council for collaborating with this us on this and I hope the children are thrilled with it.”

Before designing the play area, the rural council liaised with local schoolchildren to find out what play equipment they wanted at their new park.

Llanelli Rural Council Chairman Cllr Tegwen Devichand said: “The council is delighted to be working in partnership with Carmarthenshire County Council to provide this wonderful new play area for the community.

“The opening of the play area couldn’t have been better timed to coincide with the school holidays. I hope the local children will enjoy the range of challenging play equipment on offer and that they have lots of fun using it over the summer.”

The housing development is due to be completed by the beginning of 2022.

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK