Connect with us


Town’s implosion continues at Porth



AFC Porth 4

Llanelli Town 0

Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 12.46.46WHEN THE sides met in early January at Stebonheath, the Reds cruised to a comfortable 4-0 win, but the tables were turned with a vengeance in the return as another shambolic display by the visitors saw them slump to defeat by the same scoreline.

Each Reds performance of late has become more embarrassing with every game as they struggle to overcome opponents who, certainly last season, they would have comfortably seen off and by a large margin.

At present, however, they seem incapable of putting on a half-decent display with a lethargy seemingly having suffused the entire squad, and if it had not been for a decent start to the season, on current form they would be looking at a swift return to division three.

A scrappy opening quarter produced little in the way of a threat to either goal, before the home side were forced into a change on 19 minutes with an injury to Nathan Parsons, his place being taken by Nathan Doe and who proved to be the match-winner, notching a hat-trick, to go with a strike by Stuart Brock.

Robert Thomas directed a shot on the turn over the Porth goal, and when Liam Samuel sent a free kick into the goalmouth, keeper Ben Fletcher did a juggling act before finally grasping it with Bruno Forkuoh waiting to take advantage of any error.

Doe directed his header from a Jason Davies corner on to the roof of the net, while at the other end; Forkuoh went close, just failing to find the target when Thomas set up the chance.

A further Davies corner was met by Nyron Bird, but a good defensive block forced another flag kick.

On the stroke of half time, Porth took the lead when yet another Davies corner was met by Doe who headed it down into the path of Brock who then drove it firmly past Alex Ramsay in the Reds`goal.

The visitors were the first on the offensive after the restart with Jandir Zola forcing Fletcher to push clear his strike from distance, but Ramsay proved to be the busier of the two keepers, twice having to come off his line to clear from both Adrian Hughes and then Doe when they made ground towards goal.

Ten minutes into the half, the hosts extended their lead when a Davies free kick was driven low into the box where Doe reacted first to get the connection past Ramsay.

With the contest already seemingly slipping away from them, the Reds conceded a further two within a three minute spell, with Doe meeting a near post centre from Hughes to head home in the 64th minute, and he struck again on 67 minutes, skipping through a wide open defence before steering his finish beyond Ramsay.

The woes of the visitors lengthened further when Mark Napieralla was forced off injured, and with all three substitutes having been used they were forced to play out the closing stages with ten men.

Lee Bevan forced Fletcher to safely gather his long distance strike, but this was about the only threat on the Porth goal, and another calamitous afternoon drew to a close, leaving the visitors with much to ponder as to where they go from here.


AFC Porth: Fletcher; Williams; Parsons (Doe, 19; Veale, 82); Bird; Luck; Vivers; Taylor; J. Davies (Amos, 75); Brock; Hughes; Dwyer

Subs not used: Moses; M. Davies.

Llanelli Town: Ramsay; Bevan; I. Evans; Zola (Hughes, 64); J. Evans; Napieralla; Samuel; Thomas; Jones (Logan, 52); John (Stone, 71); Forkuoh

Subs not used: Bauza; Harries.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Gascoigne entertains Llanelli



OVER 400 people were at attendance in the Selwyn Samuel Centre in Llanelli on Saturday (Jun 18) to see former England legend Paul Gascoigne talk about his life and footballing career.

Gazza had the crowd in stitches with his stories from his past and was visibly emotional with the crowd’s warm reaction to him being there.

At one point a member of the crowd asked him if he could play one last game for one team who would it be… his answer was Swansea City to the crowds delight.

His next event will be in Tenby on September 17. The event was kindly sponsored by RDH Contractors and Sylan Lakes holiday cottages in five roads.

Continue Reading


Ryan Giggs quits as Wales manager with ‘immediate effect’



EX Man-Utd winger has left his position as the manager of the national football team with ‘immediate effect’.

Giggs stepped back from his role in November 2020 following after being arrested.

49-year-old Giggs has been charged with assault and using controlling behaviour towards an ex-partner. A claim that Giggs has denied.

In a heartfelt statement on his decision, Giggs said: “After much consideration, I am standing down from my position as manager of the Wales men’s national team with immediate effect.

“It has been an honour and a privilege to manage my country, but it is only right that the Wales FA, the coaching staff and the players prepare for the tournament with certainty, clarification and without speculation around the position of their head coach.

“I do not want the country’s preparations for the World Cup to be affected, destabilised or jeopardised in any way by the continued interest around this case.

“I am sad that we cannot continue this journey together because I believe that this extraordinary group will make the country proud at our first World Cup since 1958.

“It is my intention to resume my managerial career at a later date.”

Following Giggs arrest in 2020, former Wales captain Robert Page took over as interim manager.

Under Page Wales beat Ukraine to earn themselves a place at Qatar World Cup for the first time in 64 years.

Giggs faces one charge of using controlling and coercive behaviour August 2017 and November 2020, one charge of assault causing actual bodily harm of his ex-girlfriend Kate Greville on November 1, 2020.

He also faces a charge of common assault on the victim’s sister.

Giggs denies all charges against him and will stand trial on August 8.

The trial is expected to last five days.

Following the announcement, a FAW spokesperson said: “The FAW places on record its gratitude to Ryan Giggs for his tenure as manager of the Cymru men’s national team and appreciates the decision he has taken, which is in the best interests of Welsh football,

“The full focus of the FAW and the Cymru men’s national team is on the Fifa World Cup in Qatar later this year.”

Continue Reading


Llanelli edged out as Ynystawe pull off mammoth chase



A SCORE of 331-4 would normally be enough for a team to pick up victory, but South Wales Premier Division 2 leaders Ynystawe had other ideas as they pulled off a remarkable chase on Saturday (Jun 4).

Llanelli had been asked to bat first after Ynystawe had won the toss and their total was underpinned by a brilliant unbeaten century from Iwan Rees.

The opener hit sixteen fours and four sixes in his knock of 153 which came off 146 balls.

He had good support from Steven Devonald who scored 29 and Rhydian Morgan who scored 20 (2 fours, 1 six).

Rees and Rhys Harris shared the best stand of the match as they put on 157 runs for the fourth wicket.

Harris hit 12 fours in his score of 87 from 74 balls but he was out to the bowling of Rhys Palmer.

Rhys Westcott also finished unbeaten on 18 from 11 balls as Ynystawe were set 332 to win the game.

In reply, opener Nathan Lee scored 20 before falling to Jac Rees who also then took the wicket of Morgan Hodges on a score of 23.

Carl Roberts played well for his half century, hitting eight fours in his score of 56 before being trapped leg before by Aled Gilley.

Andrew Beasley was run out on a score of 15 and that left Ynystawe on 140-4.

Thomas Morgan and Luke Garthwaite shared 93 runs for the fifth wicket. Both reached their half centuries but Morgan was out to Iwan Rees on a score of 50.

Rees also bowled Ceri Durke and Rhys Palmer was run out by Rhydian Morgan having hit a four and a six in a quickfire score of 15.

That left Ynystawe 275-7 and they only had six overs left to get their target.

Garthwaite was on a score of 75 when Palmer fell and he took control as he smashed his way to a century.

He finished unbeaten on 118 from 67 balls after hitting 20 fours and two sixes. The last of his fours won the game for the home side as they ended up winning with two overs to spare.

On Saturday, June 11, Llanelli host Cowbridge while Ynynstawe travel to Penarth.

Continue Reading