Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Llanelli: Patients locked out of surgery after doctor changes locks

Avatar

Published

on

Dr. Devichand

Dr. Devichand

PATIENTS and staff at the Andrew Street surgery and the Dafen surgery formerly run by Dr. Prabodh Devichand have been locked out of the premises following a dispute over the rental lease. Dr. Devichand told The Herald that he has not had a lease agreement signed despite giving legal notice that the deadline for a lease agreement was midnight on 31st March. Dr. Devichand told The Herald that he has not received any such agreement and had no alternative other than changing the locks at both surgeries. The notice on the doors of both surgeries reads, These premises (1 Dafen Road and 22 Andrew Street) are no longer available for use with effect from 1st April 2016.

In February The Herald was contacted by patients from Dr Devichand’s pactice in Andrew Street who raised concerns amid rumours that the surgery would be moving to a Portakabin at Prince Phillip Hospital. Patients told The Herald that they had not seen the doctors who were meant to be taking over the practice and that Dr Devichand himself was still running the surgery.

Dr Williams, of the new GP partnership, told The Herald that the practice was certainly not moving to a portacabin at Prince Phillip Hospital but said that the location in Andrew Street and the site in Dafen were not fit for purpose. He also stressed that the new practice members were in the process of finding an appropriate location with a timeline of 29 weeks to do so.

Dr Williams said: “We are in the hands of the people who are responsible for the NHS estates and they know what kind of place that resembles a health care facility. We have moved into several new buildings in the past and you just can’t just move into an empty building. The building is the issue and it will get rectified.”

This week matters have come to a head. Dr Devichand told The Herald he has been trying to arrange a lease for the new practice to use his existing surgeries until the new premises are available but has not been able to get any answers. He said that he had been instructed by the health Board to find a solicitor to arrange a lease. Dr. Devichand told The Herald that he had done this but that he had not had any agreement signed, despite giving the deadline of 31st March 2016.

Dr. Devichand had given the new doctors and the Health Board an ultimatum at the beginning of the year. Back then he said, “It has all been up in the air. I sent an email to the new doctors saying that I am finishing on the evening of January 29th and I sent a copy to Hywel Dda Health Board. That means that unless a lease is signed the surgery will not be available from February 1 onwards. If that happens then there will be uncertainty for both staff and patients. I don’t want patients to suffer but unless this is resolved the premises will not be available as from Monday, February 1.”

As of today, Friday (Apr 1) The Herald understands that both surgeries will be closed and the locks changed.

Continue Reading
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Avatar

    jill

    April 1, 2016 at 3:16 pm

    A short term lease should have been signed, this lock out can not be a shock to the new practise unless they thought they would have use of the surgeries for free! The powers that be knew since at least August that Dr Devichand was retiring from the 30/09/15 and on 2 occasions I know of left both surgeries without cover. I don’t blame Dr Devichand for taking this route, liberties have been taken and he seems to have had enough of being messed about.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Llanelli bus depot to close after 100 years

Avatar

Published

on

THE LLANELLI HERALD understands that the Llanelli Bus Depot at Inkermans Street will be closing its gates for good. 

The Bus Depot has served the local community for approximately 100 years, Drivers will now be sent to work from depots in Carmarthen, Swansea and Tycroes. 

All services will remain in the the town, this newspaper can confirm, and our reporter was told that there will not be any redundancies. 

One bus driver told us that he and he co-workers were “not completely happy”, but the unnamed source added “At least we still have jobs to go to.” 

Further updates are expected on this developing story.

Continue Reading

News

Two week national ‘Firebreak Lockdown’ announced for Wales from 6pm on Friday

Avatar

Published

on

MARK DRAKEFORD, The First Minister of Wales has announced a two week ‘fire break’ lockdown from Friday October 23 at 18:00 HRS, to last until Monday November 9 at 00:01 HRS

Mr Drakeford said: “This firebreak is the shortest we can make it. It must be sharp and deep in order to have the impact we need it to have on the virus.”

All non essential businesses, including tourism businesses will be told to close.

Businesses have been told that they will be given £1000 each automatically to help with the economic impact of the shutdown.

Mr Drakeford added that children will be the priority and that childcare facilities will open as normal. Primary schools will open after half term.

Secondary schools will be closed for a week after half term to help control the virus.

Universities will offer a mixture of face-to-face learning and learning via video link. Students must stay at their university accommodation during the lockdown.

Responding to the Welsh Government’s announcement of a Wales-wide lockdown, Paul Davies MS, the Leader of the Opposition in the Welsh Parliament, has called the lockdown “not-proportionate” and is calling on the Welsh Government to be “open and transparent” on the evidence to support a lockdown and if the First Minister is committing Wales to rolling Wales-wide lockdowns every month.

Paul Davies MS said: “Sadly, the First Minster has failed to get public support for this second Wales-wide lockdown, failing to be open and transparent about the evidence to justify this lockdown and what his actions will entail for the future.

“The Welsh Government also has to be honest that this road they are taking us down is committing Wales to rolling Wales-wide lockdowns. This is not a two-week break to solve the pandemic, it is likely that we will see regular lockdowns across the rest of the year. The Welsh Government must be clear what actions they are taking during the lockdown to prevent further Wales-wide lockdowns which will have a significant impact on people’s lives and livelihoods.

“However, the main concern is that this national lockdown is not proportionate. The impact on businesses in areas such as Powys, Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion, who have the lowest rate of Covid-19 cases in Wales, will be severe at a time when they are desperately struggling to recover from the pandemic so far this year.

“The First Minister needs to urgently come to the Welsh Parliament and answer these questions, to face effective scrutiny by elected representatives and not run his government by media.”

Preseli Pembrokeshire MP, Stephen Crabb told The Herald: “The evidence to support an all-Wales lockdown is weak and I am sceptical that this so-called ‘fire-break’ will tackle the situation in those parts of Wales where infection rates have been out of control. The key issue for Welsh Government to address is what will be done differently after the firebreak ends in those parts of Wales where infection rates have spiralled out of control. Otherwise the whole of Wales risks being dragged back into a series of rolling lockdowns.

“As we saw earlier in the year, lockdowns come with huge costs in terms of harm to the economy and to people’s emotional and mental wellbeing. With the Welsh Government asking UK Government to fund this lockdown, I hope that as many businesses as possible get support they need quickly. Pembrokeshire’s hospitality businesses will be hit particularly hard by these latest restrictions and I will be fighting hard again to see that they are protected as the lockdown kicks in.”

Continue Reading

News

Drakeford to make decision on ‘fire-break’ lockdown in Wales by Monday

Avatar

Published

on

WALES is facing a national lockdown lasting at least two weeks in plans described as a “fire-break” by the first minister.

He said a decision was likely to be made on Monday, while talks continue with health officials, scientific advisors and councils over the weekend.
“Doing nothing is not an option,” he said.

Responding to the speculation First Minister, Mark Drakeford, is set to announce a ‘circuit-breaker’ lockdown in Wales, Welsh Conservative health spokesperson, Andrew RT Davies MS said: “I implore the First Minister to think again before heading down this path.

“The decision to lockdown Wales once again will have devastating consequences – from an economic and public health perspective – and should be the last resort.

“Only yesterday, the former director of communicable diseases at Public Health Wales, Dr Roland Salmon, said a circuit-breaker is likely to fail and the Welsh Labour Government should listen carefully to his warning.

“Earlier this week, Welsh Conservatives called for the urgent resumption of shielding in Wales with a substantial package of support to ensure the financial, physical and mental well-being of those most at risk is protected.

“This should be the immediate action taken by ministers along with prioritising PPE and testing in the problem areas in Wales such as hospitals, care home, universities and meat factories.

“It’s not too late for the Labour Government to reconsider and choose a different approach in Wales.”

Mr Drakeford warned that 2,500 people were now being infected with coronavirus every day in Wales, with critical care units in hospitals full.

“A successful fire-break would re-set the virus at a lower level,” he added.

Together with a new national set of rules for the whole of Wales after the fire-break period we would have slowed the virus down enough to get us through to Christmas.”
Plaid Cymru has been calling on Mr Drakeford to introduce the circuit-breaker without delay, while Labour at Westminster says a similar approach should be adopted in England.

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK