Connect with us


Solo conversion sneaks Warriors home



Anniversary Cup

Cefneithin 30

Llanelli Warriors 32

All smiles: The Warriors enjoyed a tough test

All smiles: The Warriors enjoyed a tough test

CEFNEITHIN and the Llanelli Warriors served up a fantastic game of rugby at Cae Carwyn on the weekend battling away to share 6 tries apiece, with the only difference between two very evenly matched sides in the end being a solitary conversion courtesy of Rhydian Williams.

Whilst the home side took the opportunity to experiment with their line-up and introduce some of the more experienced youth players, the Warriors were pretty much at full strength and came into the game eager to make an impression with a busy fixture schedule ahead.

Whilst both sides looked to move the ball rather than kick possession, this was no frolic with both sides having a real go at each other. Harri Aston caused Cefn problems with his tricky runs and set up an early position for the forwards, quickly recycling before the defence could settle, veteran prop Colin Tacon burrowed through for a great opening try.

Lee Rowlands followed him soon after in a great opening salvo from the Warriors. Cefn hit back immediately with a fine team effort though, with the ball going through many hands and it was game on.

Lawson sneaked over for the Warriors whilst Cefn skipper Mills ran in a long range effort and when the home team scored again in was all even at half time.

There was no let-up in pace in the second period though. Cefn got in front with a neat try involving Sion Peregrine and Nathan Davies and the Warriors needed a Jamie Evans effort to keep up.

With Bonnar and Stephen Evans going well and Richard Evans solid at full back and the hosts got further ahead trough a Rhys Lewis try.

The Warriors had to redouble their efforts with Tom Hall and Man of the Match Dai Haines outstanding up front and Tom Ashour working hard on the flank. Simon Jenkins topped a fine game with a trademark burst and with Williams’ conversion the Warriors were three behind. They had to fight for every inch but eventually centre Alun Stephens got over with a typical physical effort.

There was still a few minutes left but the Warriors showed a mature edge to control the ball and so claim the result and the Anniversary Cup.

Off field things were far friendlier and Cefneithin made another significant donation to the Warriors’ funds to confirm the two clubs close links.

Manager Gwilym Lewis said: “The Warriors were very pleased and relieved to edge the result, coming through such a test will help us as we face some tough games in the coming weeks.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Gealey holds nerve to send Stars to victory



NEW DOCK STARS earned their first win of the season on Saturday (Jan 15) as they beat Bynea 29-30 in a thrilling encounter.

The Dock held a 20-12 lead at half time and were ahead going into the final stages.

Bynea thought they had won the game when a late score put them 29-27 in front.

However, the Stars hit back with time running out and Adam Gealey scored a penalty to win the game for his side.

That gave him a personal haul of 15 points having already scored with two penalties and three conversions.

Dylan Jones scored two tries for the visitors and Jordan Evans got the other.

Bynea’s George MacDonald scored a hat trick of tries and Finlay Cooke also crossed the whitewash once.

James Branson added three conversions and one penalty.

It was a thrilling encounter as both sides belied their positions at the foot of the table.

On Saturday, January 22, the Stars travel to Llandybie while Bynea host Betws.

Photo by Darren Harries

Continue Reading


Furnace seal second win



FURNACE UNITED earned their second win of the League 3 West B season on Saturday (Jan 15) as they beat Llandybie.

Daf Green scored for the Cherries with other tries coming from Joe Qualters-Jones, Myles Harries, Joe Pugh and Jonny Roberts.

Green was successful with three of five conversion attempts and he also added a penalty.

Furnace held a 13-5 lead at half time as Llandybie scored an unconverted try in each half.

Ioan Rees and Josh Watkins scored the tries for the visitors.

On Saturday, January 22, Furnace United travel to Llandeilo while Llandybie host New Dock Stars.

PHOTO by Darren Harries

Continue Reading


Saunders stars as Llangennech beat Gowerton



LLANGENNECH remain unbeaten in League 1 West after they won 33-16 away at Gowerton on Saturday (Jan 15).

Liam Hutchings put the visitors ahead with the first try of the game and Tom Neale added the extras.

Gowerton then got themselves on the scoreboard with a penalty but Llangennech were soon back on the attack.

Jordan Saunders was next to go over and Neale again added the extras.

Gowerton reduced the arrears once more with another penalty and the visitors held a 14-6 lead when the half time whistle went.

Gowerton scored another penalty early in the second half to keep themselves in the game.

However, Llangennech kept applying the pressure and they soon had their third try with Saunders going over for his second and Neale adding his third conversion to make it 21-9.

Saunders then completed his hat trick to also earn his side a bonus point.

Gowerton responded with a converted try to bring the score back to 16-26 but it was the visitors who had the last word.

Greg George scored their fifth try of the game and Neale converted to complete the scoring.

Saunders was named man of the match for his try hat trick and the win sees them move on to 25 points, six points above second placed Newcastle Emlyn.

The sides are next in action on Saturday, January 29, when Llangennech host third placed Felinfoel while Gowerton travel to Aberystwyth.

Continue Reading