Connect with us


Town clinch dramatic last-gasp victory



Steve Stone: 92nd minute winner from Llanelli Town midfielder

Steve Stone: 92nd minute winner from Llanelli Town midfielder

TRAILING 2-1 with the game almost over, the Reds staged a dramatic last-ditch comeback with goals by Robert Thomas and Steve Stone to clinch three unexpected points, leaving their opponents ruing their misfortune.

The home side, occupying a bottom three spot in the table, nevertheless presented the visitors with plenty of problems, and were ahead after just 9 minutes following a Nicky Bruce free kick into the area which was not dealt with, allowing Paul Caulfield to sweep it past stand-in goalkeeper, Jamie Evans.

As the game progressed, the Reds enjoyed plenty of possession without displaying too much in the way of attacking intent, although Lee Bevan twice went close, first from a Richard Lewis cross and then a Stone set-piece.

They had better luck on 38 minutes when they levelled matters, with Robert Thomas making a run down the right before his delivery into the middle was met by Matthew Hughes whose downward header beat James Curtin in the Dinas goal.

This success encouraged the visitors to push forward, and Stone was unlucky to see his effort hit the post with Robert Thomas just unable to profit from the rebound.

There were appeals for a Reds penalty when Luke Jones appeared to be brought down after Lewis supplied a cross into the box, but these were waved away by referee Nigel Jones, and when Chris Thomas launched a ball downfield, only a fortunate deflection off James Blexham which found its way to Curtin prevented either Luke Jones or Hughes from taking advantage.

Liam Samuel became the second visiting player to strike the woodwork when his shot came back off the post, while Curtin did well to hang on safely to a Hughes strike on target.

Having survived these threats, Dinas then produced a sucker punch by once again taking the lead in the 64th minute following some good work by Kieron James, who made ground before finding Scott Muir infield, and his finish beat Evans via the underside of the bar.

Following this setback, the Reds made a number of changes, with Bruno Forkuoh, Bartolome Bauza and Osian Harries replacing Ross Jones, Mark Napieralla and Luke Jones respectively.

With time running out, it appeared as if the visitors were heading for another disappointing defeat, but on the stroke of full time, a Lewis clearance was collected by Robert Thomas whose superb lob cleared the despairing clutches of Curtin and level the scores.

Even better was to come, as deep into stoppage time, Samuel was denied by a great save by Curtin who diverted his shot for a corner taken by Lewis, and his curling delivery into the goalmouth led to Stone rising to head into the net and spark off some joyous celebrations.

There was still time for more drama, when the home side saw a longrange attempt by Myles Case sail over Evans but rebound off the bar, and the Reds clung on to savour the win.


Dinas Powys: Curtin; Adamson; Perrett (Bramhill, 58); Bloxham; Caulfield; Bruce; Palmer (Bryl, 76); Marr; Johns; Muir (Case, 72); James.

Sub not used: Banguraso.

Llanelli Town: Evans; Napieralla (Bauza, 69); Lewis; Stone; Bevan ©; C. Thomas; Samuel; R. Jones (Forkuoh, 65); L. Jones (Harries, 79); R. Thomas; Hughes.

Subs not used: Zola; Martin.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Gealey holds nerve to send Stars to victory



NEW DOCK STARS earned their first win of the season on Saturday (Jan 15) as they beat Bynea 29-30 in a thrilling encounter.

The Dock held a 20-12 lead at half time and were ahead going into the final stages.

Bynea thought they had won the game when a late score put them 29-27 in front.

However, the Stars hit back with time running out and Adam Gealey scored a penalty to win the game for his side.

That gave him a personal haul of 15 points having already scored with two penalties and three conversions.

Dylan Jones scored two tries for the visitors and Jordan Evans got the other.

Bynea’s George MacDonald scored a hat trick of tries and Finlay Cooke also crossed the whitewash once.

James Branson added three conversions and one penalty.

It was a thrilling encounter as both sides belied their positions at the foot of the table.

On Saturday, January 22, the Stars travel to Llandybie while Bynea host Betws.

Photo by Darren Harries

Continue Reading


Furnace seal second win



FURNACE UNITED earned their second win of the League 3 West B season on Saturday (Jan 15) as they beat Llandybie.

Daf Green scored for the Cherries with other tries coming from Joe Qualters-Jones, Myles Harries, Joe Pugh and Jonny Roberts.

Green was successful with three of five conversion attempts and he also added a penalty.

Furnace held a 13-5 lead at half time as Llandybie scored an unconverted try in each half.

Ioan Rees and Josh Watkins scored the tries for the visitors.

On Saturday, January 22, Furnace United travel to Llandeilo while Llandybie host New Dock Stars.

PHOTO by Darren Harries

Continue Reading


Saunders stars as Llangennech beat Gowerton



LLANGENNECH remain unbeaten in League 1 West after they won 33-16 away at Gowerton on Saturday (Jan 15).

Liam Hutchings put the visitors ahead with the first try of the game and Tom Neale added the extras.

Gowerton then got themselves on the scoreboard with a penalty but Llangennech were soon back on the attack.

Jordan Saunders was next to go over and Neale again added the extras.

Gowerton reduced the arrears once more with another penalty and the visitors held a 14-6 lead when the half time whistle went.

Gowerton scored another penalty early in the second half to keep themselves in the game.

However, Llangennech kept applying the pressure and they soon had their third try with Saunders going over for his second and Neale adding his third conversion to make it 21-9.

Saunders then completed his hat trick to also earn his side a bonus point.

Gowerton responded with a converted try to bring the score back to 16-26 but it was the visitors who had the last word.

Greg George scored their fifth try of the game and Neale converted to complete the scoring.

Saunders was named man of the match for his try hat trick and the win sees them move on to 25 points, six points above second placed Newcastle Emlyn.

The sides are next in action on Saturday, January 29, when Llangennech host third placed Felinfoel while Gowerton travel to Aberystwyth.

Continue Reading