Connect with us


Double licence award for town



Richmond Park: Gained UEFA licence again

Richmond Park: Gained UEFA licence again

CARMARTHEN Town Football Club officials are celebrating their success in achieving two Football Association of Wales licensing awards.

The club has been granted both Domestic and UEFA (European) Licences for next season, 2016/17.

“Achieving the two licences is no mere tick-box exercise; a huge amount of hard work has to go into preparing the applications,” said club Chairman Jeff Thomas.

“Our club general manager/ secretary Gareth Jones, club licensing officer John Collyer, groundsman Jonathan Lewis and treasurer Anthony Parnell can be singled out for special praise for their significant roles within the process.”

Chairman designate Chris Edwards said: “All officials, volunteers, supporters and helpers can take pride in the fact we have been granted these two licences.

“The Domestic one is key to our participation in the Welsh Premier League and the UEFA licence means that we can stage European games. This has paid dividends for us in the past as we fly the flag for south and west Wales clubs in having this status.

“The licences add extra status to our ground at Richmond Park. Without a doubt, we have one of the finest football grounds in the Welsh Premier League and facilities that are the envy of many.

“We will continue to work hard to constantly improve the facilities at Richmond Park. Of course, central to our current plans is our bid to bring a new 3G pitch to Richmond Park. We are progressing that plan and hope to update our fans and the wider community on that proposal as soon as we have news to report.”

An independent panel awarded domestic licences to 14 Welsh clubs.

The only existing Dafabet Welsh Premier League club, not to be awarded the licence was Port Talbot Town.

Barry Town Utd of the Welsh Football League was awarded the domestic licence for the first time, while Cefn Druids and Flint Town Utd of the Huws Gray Alliance League were also granted the licence.

Cardiff Met. University, Penybont, Caernarfon Town, Porthmadog and Prestatyn Town were the other five ‘Tier 2’ clubs to be rejected the licence.

The panel also assessed the 12 Dafabet Welsh Premier League clubs’ applications for a UEFA licence, with nine UEFA licences being granted, including a first UEFA licence for MBi Llandudno. Port Talbot Town, Rhyl and Haverfordwest County were not awarded the UEFA licence.

The FAW domestic licence is mandatory to participate in the Welsh Premier League, whilst the UEFA licence is a pre-requisite for UEFA Club competitions.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Gealey holds nerve to send Stars to victory



NEW DOCK STARS earned their first win of the season on Saturday (Jan 15) as they beat Bynea 29-30 in a thrilling encounter.

The Dock held a 20-12 lead at half time and were ahead going into the final stages.

Bynea thought they had won the game when a late score put them 29-27 in front.

However, the Stars hit back with time running out and Adam Gealey scored a penalty to win the game for his side.

That gave him a personal haul of 15 points having already scored with two penalties and three conversions.

Dylan Jones scored two tries for the visitors and Jordan Evans got the other.

Bynea’s George MacDonald scored a hat trick of tries and Finlay Cooke also crossed the whitewash once.

James Branson added three conversions and one penalty.

It was a thrilling encounter as both sides belied their positions at the foot of the table.

On Saturday, January 22, the Stars travel to Llandybie while Bynea host Betws.

Photo by Darren Harries

Continue Reading


Furnace seal second win



FURNACE UNITED earned their second win of the League 3 West B season on Saturday (Jan 15) as they beat Llandybie.

Daf Green scored for the Cherries with other tries coming from Joe Qualters-Jones, Myles Harries, Joe Pugh and Jonny Roberts.

Green was successful with three of five conversion attempts and he also added a penalty.

Furnace held a 13-5 lead at half time as Llandybie scored an unconverted try in each half.

Ioan Rees and Josh Watkins scored the tries for the visitors.

On Saturday, January 22, Furnace United travel to Llandeilo while Llandybie host New Dock Stars.

PHOTO by Darren Harries

Continue Reading


Saunders stars as Llangennech beat Gowerton



LLANGENNECH remain unbeaten in League 1 West after they won 33-16 away at Gowerton on Saturday (Jan 15).

Liam Hutchings put the visitors ahead with the first try of the game and Tom Neale added the extras.

Gowerton then got themselves on the scoreboard with a penalty but Llangennech were soon back on the attack.

Jordan Saunders was next to go over and Neale again added the extras.

Gowerton reduced the arrears once more with another penalty and the visitors held a 14-6 lead when the half time whistle went.

Gowerton scored another penalty early in the second half to keep themselves in the game.

However, Llangennech kept applying the pressure and they soon had their third try with Saunders going over for his second and Neale adding his third conversion to make it 21-9.

Saunders then completed his hat trick to also earn his side a bonus point.

Gowerton responded with a converted try to bring the score back to 16-26 but it was the visitors who had the last word.

Greg George scored their fifth try of the game and Neale converted to complete the scoring.

Saunders was named man of the match for his try hat trick and the win sees them move on to 25 points, six points above second placed Newcastle Emlyn.

The sides are next in action on Saturday, January 29, when Llangennech host third placed Felinfoel while Gowerton travel to Aberystwyth.

Continue Reading