A LLANELLI hotel owner was blackmailed by an armed man who threatened to make allegations against him.
Andrew Deakin, aged 32, had a gun tucked into the back of his trousers when he forced Paul Francis to count out £300 inside the Half Way hotel in Llanelli.
His brother George Deakin, 40, was outside the hotel as back up and armed with a baseball bat.
Andrew Deakin, of Corner House, Port Talbot Road, Port Talbot, admitted blackmail and was jailed for two and a half years by a judge at Swansea Crown Court last Friday (May 27).
George Deakin, of Dinas Road, Baglan, admitted possessing an offensive weapon and was jailed for 12 months.
Stephen Rees, prosecuting, said Andrew Deakin had been a pupil at Ffynone House School, Swansea, when Mr Francis had been an assistant teacher there.
Years later their paths crossed again.
By then Mr Francis had taken over the Half Way hotel and the pair decided to extract money from him.
Mr Rees said police were able to trace text messages sent by the brothers.
Andrew Deakin to George Deakin, “I feel sick and on top on top of the moon at the same time. We are going to take him for every penny he’s got. He’s inherited the biggest pub in Llanelli from his parents. This is going to be awesome.”
GD to AD:”I have three guns and a baseball bat.”
AD to GD, “I’ll message him to pick me up.”
Mr Rees said Mr Francis was ordered to drive to a cash point while Andrew Deakin sat in the back holding an imitation firearm. George Deakin followed in a silver Mercedes.
Once there Mr Francis realised he had not taken his debit card and Andrew Deakin told him to drive to the Half Way Hotel “and made various threats during the journey.”
Andrew Deakin told him, “Things could get more sinister if there isn’t money at the hotel.”
Once there Deakin tucked the gun into the back of his trousers and walked Mr Francis into the hotel, where Mr Francis handed over £300.
Meanwhile, said Mr Rees, George Deakin had emerged from the Mercedes holding the baseball bat.
Andrew Deakin seemed to signal to him that there would be no need for violence as he had got some money, but as they left the hotel they warned Mr Francis, “We will be back. Keep your mouth shut.”
The following day, Andrew Deakin sent Mr Francis a message reading, “Are you sorting it out or do we have to come up there?”
Mr Francis contacted the police and the brothers were arrested.
Andrew Deakin said the £300 had been a “pay off” and not the result of blackmailing. He said he armed himself with a gun for self protection.
George Deakin, once a professional jockey and later a chef, said he had followed his brother to the hotel to ensure his safety.
Brian Richardson, the barrister representing Andrew Deakin, said it had always been his case that he had a complaint about Mr Francis dating back to his time at Ffynone House.
James Hartson, for George Deakin, said he had acted as an enforcer “in this very foolish enterprise.”
The judge, Mr Recorder Nicholas Gareth Jones, told the brothers, “This was not a spur of the moment incident. You set him up.”
Police appeal following assault in Llys Glan Y Mor
POLICE in Llanelli are investigating an assault which occurred in the vicinity of St Davids Close and Llys Glan Y Mor, Llanelli sometime between 9.00pm on Saturday 10th April and 1.30am on Sunday 11th April 2021.
A 45-year-old male was taken to hospital with facial injuries.
Officers have carried out all possible lines of enquiry, and are now appealing for help from the public.
They would like to identify the people in the CCTV image, who may have information that could help the investigation.
Anyone who knows who the people are, or if you believe you are pictured, contact Dyfed-Powys Police either online at: bit.ly/DPPContactOnline, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling 101. If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908. Quote reference DPP/0006/11/04/2021/01/C.
Police trace burglar who left trail of oil leading to his home
A MAN was charged with burglary after leaving a trail of oil from a stolen generator leading police from a victim’s home to his own.
Dyfed-Powys Police officers were able to quickly trace Dominic William Oliver after he went on an overnight burglary spree in Burry Port in March.
The force received reports of two garage burglaries and a theft from a car overnight on Monday, March 8, with a generator, fishing rods, and two bags containing passports among the stolen items.
The combined value of the items taken was estimated to be around £800.
Sergeant Gemma Davies said: “An officer attended the victims’ homes, and was made aware of a trail of oil, which was believed to have come from the stolen generator.
“She followed it along several streets – one of which was where Oliver had stolen two bags from a car – and discovered that it ended outside a property on Dandorlan Road.
“Oliver agreed to a voluntary search being carried out, and as officers entered the property they immediately noticed a rucksack with a distinctive pattern that had been described by one of the victims.”
The search was completed, with further items suspected to have been stolen recovered from the address, and the 31-year-old was arrested on suspicion of burglary within six hours of the incidents being reported.
While being conveyed to police custody, Oliver made a significant comment linking him to the theft of the generator.
He was charged with two counts of burglary and one theft, and appeared at Swansea Crown Court for sentencing on Friday, April 30.
He was sentenced to 12 months in prison suspended for 18 months, must complete a rehabilitation requirement, and must remain at his home address between 8pm and 6am for three months.
Sgt Davies said: “This was an excellent response, which resulted in the swift arrest and charge of Oliver, and the recovery and return of stolen property to the victims the same day the offences were reported to us.
“This has no doubt had a positive impact on the residents of Burry Port, who have commented positively on how the matter was investigated.
“Community engagement, patrols and a crime prevention leaflet drop was carried out following the investigation to offer reassurance and advice.”
Further coronavirus restriction relaxations brought forward
FURTHER changes to the coronavirus restrictions have been announced by the First Minister Mark Drakeford today.
The Welsh Government has confirmed further relaxations will be brought forward from 17 May to 3 May – including the resumption of indoor supervised activities for children, indoor organised activities for up to 15 adults, such as exercise classes, and the re-opening of community centres.
This means Wales will have completed the move to Alert Level 3 by Monday 3 May.
From Saturday 24 April, the rule of 6 will allow for up to six people from six households to meet outdoors, not including children under 11 years of age or carers from those households.
The Welsh Government has also confirmed the relaxations that will take place on Monday 26 April. Outdoor attractions, including outdoor swimming pools, funfairs and theme parks, will be allowed to reopen, while outdoor hospitality can also resume, including at cafes, pubs and restaurants.
Organised outdoor activities for up to 30 people will be able to take place and weddings receptions can begin again outdoors for up to 30 people.
Wales has the lowest coronavirus rates of the UK nations. The successful vaccine programme continues with a higher proportion of people vaccinated in Wales than other nations of the UK for both first and second doses.
Changes from Monday 3 May:
- Gyms, leisure centres and fitness facilities being able to reopen;
- People will also again be able to form extended households with one other household.
Relaxations planned for 17 May will be brought forward to the 3 May, including:
- The resumption of indoor supervised activities for children;
- Indoor organised activities for up to 15 adults (such as exercise classes and swimming lessons);
- And the re-opening of community centres.
The First Minister said:
“The sacrifices we have made continue to show results. By us all working together and sticking to the rules, combined with our vaccination programme, mean we continue to make progress. Rates of the virus continue to fall and the public health situation is improving.
“Due to these efforts we are able confirm more easing of the restrictions from 26 April and for early May we are again able to bring forward some of our plans. However, this progress is dependent on all of us continuing to work together to keep Wales safe.
“At the last three-week review, I set out a forward-look of how the restrictions could continue to be lifted in the weeks ahead, if the public health situation remains stable.
“It will be for the incoming Welsh Government to confirm these arrangements at the next three-week review, which will be held on May 13 – a week after the election. It is my assessment that the hospitality sector – bars, pubs, restaurants and cafes – will be able to open indoors from May 17, together with all other tourist accommodation, indoor entertainment and attractions.”
Further possible easements are subject to the public health situation remaining favourable.